Prague Quadrennial of Performance Design and Space 2011
The 2011 Prague Quadrennial of Performance Design and Space
- is the largest scenography event in the world - presenting contemporary work in a variety of performance design disciplines and genres - costume, stage, lighting, sound design, and theatre architecture for dance, opera, drama, site specific, multi-media performances, and performance art
- a design exhibition featuring national exhibits from more than 70 countries
- has a wide spectrum of live events – workshops, lectures, performances, discussions and presentations, and provides an in-depth exploration of contemporary theatre and performance design, creating space for meetings and exchange among thousands of performance and theatre professionals, students and spectators
- has three competitive sections – the section of countries and regions, section of theatre architecture and student section.
- will take place at the Veletrzni Palace (the building of the Czech National Gallery) in Prague from June 16 to 26, 2011
- is held every four years, since 1967
- formerly named as Prague Quadrennial International Exhibition of Scenography and Theatre Architecture
- is organized by the Ministry of Culture of the Czech Republic and realized by the Arts and Theatre Institute Prague. It traditionally takes place under the auspices of the president of the Czech Republic and with support of UNESCO and the Prague City Council.
The PQ´11 Philippine working committee head is Rolando M. Deleon (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Complete list of country curators here.
How to Participate
SCENOFEST: Educational project of OISTAT and the Prague Quadrennial
The Scenofest project creates an opportunity for performance design students from all over the world to meet and exchange ideas among themselves and to interact with some of the top professionals in the field through workshops, lectures and performances.
Students can participate to three projects within the Scenofest:
- Six Acts, the central project of Scenofest 2011 – working as part of an ensemble with a leading international artist you will have the opportunity to create a of site-specific performance that will take place in the very heart of Prague. Some of the performances will be spectacular, some intimate but all of them will be unique to the city!
- Design as Performance – a series of indoor performances where we invite you to tell a story through sound and light (Disk Stories) and outdoor performances (Street Stories) created for the streets of Prague.
- Workshops – led by leading international artists and academics, our programme of one and two day workshops in all aspects of performance design and space has space for over 1,500 students.
Here are just two of the many projects at the PQ'11 that have calls for participation:
Call for submission of portfolios (for individual artists)
Individual artists are invited to bring (or send) their paper portfolios to be included in the PQ Portfolio Library – a lounge space with free access to the portfolios and other publications.
Participate in Krétakör´s artistic experiment at the PQ
Krétakör, Hungarian performance and media workshop, is looking for participants to volunteer in a major artistic experiment at the Prague Quadrennial 2011. The participants will move into the Právo printing house on 9 June and will live there together full time until 24 June. Participants will be confined together in Právo for 15 days, eating, drinking, sleeping together, and becoming both the creators of the art piece and the art piece in itself.
What do you think of these events? Share your comments.